Sunday, December 19, 2010

Viewer discretion is advised

Dear viewer,

I trust that you are mature enough to make your own decisions. I am employing imagery in my new series of works that some people may find disturbing. I understand if you don't want to continue. If you do, you can view it after the break:





















squamous cell carcinoma (where it went wrong)

I'm working with a set of images I acquired from Cornell University's Necropsy Show and Tell, which are images used to educate veterinary students. Continuing with my theme of pseudo-scientific classification, I am endeavoring to categorize relationships through anatomical and pathological study. Sifting through the library of images also has a desensitizing effect, so perhaps I am working against the horror of death, in relationships and otherwise.

Sorry for the seeming morbidity, but in a way I think my drawings bring beauty to these utilitarian images, ennoble animals shown in what could be construed as their basest form.

By the way I'm practicing for my grad school application.

xoxo, Chelsea

No comments: